Friday, July 22, 2011

Pas d'anttenes....No expectations

No expectations....how difficult is that?  There are so many scenarios for this but the one that comes quickest to mind is one that I have often become so familiar with. 
First of all everyone should have some expectations of how they would like their life to be and we are all entitled to the life we work for.  However - this can get tricky.  While we should hold people to high moral standard we also should not go into any situation with any particular expectation in mind or we may end up sadly disappointed. 
This rule can apply to every aspect of life.  Relationships, work, family, and so much more.  We can expect that they won't put syrup in my coffee drink but it may somehow end up in it.  So you take it back and tell them you would like a new drink.  Almost always they will be happy to accommodate you.  But what happens when something in life goes terribly wrong after certain expectations have done nothing but let you down over and over?  This is something I wonder about a lot. 
Are my expectations too low?  Possibly.  The bottom line is this - another of the many rules I live by: Plan for the worst and hope for the best.  It's hard to switch your feeling when you are dead set on it but sometimes you just need to for your own sanity.  Many people would say I am pessimistic and I am - BUT - it is a very realistic point of view in my opinion. 
If you are a person who just goes with the flow then I truly envy you.  That's a great quality to have.  We have to live and learn from our own mistakes and we cannot make any situation happen just because we want it so much.  So - I think I will try and apply the "No expectations" to my life and just maybe I won't seem so negative.....but probably not (You see what I mean?)

No comments:

Post a Comment